LiFePO4 batteries or (lithium iron phosphate batteries) are a new type of lithium-ion battery.
LiFePO4 batteries offer many advantages over lithium cobalt dioxide (LiCoO2) batteries which are commonly used in laptops and cell phones.
In electric vehicles, LiFePO4 batteries offer greater range, power and safety. They provide full power until they are completely discharged, and recharge in just 2.5 hours.
LiFePO4 chemistry is also environmentally friendly — it’s the least toxic of all the battery types. They do not contain toxic heavy metals such as lead, cadmium, nor any corrosive acids.
Here are the LiFePO4 batteries currently available on Amazon:
- Ionic LiFePO4 Battery — 20 Ah — 6.6 pounds — $186
- ExpertPower LiFePO4 Battery — 20 Ah — 5.8 pounds — $190
- TalentCell LiFePO4 Battery — 24 Ah — 5.7 pounds — $166
- Ionic LiFePO4 Battery — 30 Ah — 11.6 pounds — $269
- Mighty Max LiFePO4 Battery — 35 Ah — 9.6 pounds — $370
- ExpertPower LiFePO4 Battery — 50 Ah — 13 pounds — $449
- BattleBorn LiFePO4 Battery — 50 Ah — 17.6 pounds — $575
- Mighty Max LiFePO4Battery — 100 Ah — 30 pounds — $675
- TalentCell LiFePO4 Battery — 100 Ah — 26.4 pounds — $700
- BattleBorn LiFePO4 Battery — 100 Ah — 29 pounds — $950
Here’s a list of all the advantages of LiFePo4 batteries:
- LiFePO4 are safe — they do not catch fire or explode with overcharge
- They have over 2000 discharge cycles life compared to typically around 300 for lead acid
- Double the usable capacity of similar amp hour lead acid batteries
- Virtually flat discharge curve means maximum power available until fully discharged (no “voltage sag” as with lead acid batteries)
- High discharge rate capability, 10C continuous, 20C pulse discharge
- Unlike lead acid batteries, can be left in a partially discharged state for extended periods without causing permanent damage
- Extremely low self discharge rate (unlike lead acid which will go flat quite quickly if left sitting for long periods)
- Can be used safely in high ambient temperatures of up to 60C without any degradation in performance
- Maintenance free for the life of the battery
- Can be operated in any orientation
- LiFePO4 cells are of solid construction — there are no fragile/brittle plates made of lead which can be prone to failure over time as a result of vibration
- Can be safely rapidly recharged — when fully discharged can be brought to a state of over 90% fully charged in 15 minutes