Indoor paint can release toxic emissions into a room for months or even years.
Zero VOC and Low Emission Wall Paints
- Benjamin Moore Natura Paint — zero-VOC and zero emissions — this the greenest paint offered by Benjamin Moore
- Benjamin Moore Aura Paint — a zero VOC paint line
- AFM Safecoat — a very safe line of paint from AFM — founded thirty years ago specifically for chemically sensitive customers
- Clare Paint — all Clare paint is low odor, has zero VOCs and colorants, and is Greenguard Gold certified
- Green Planet Paint — features plant- and mineral-based formulas — no colorants that have VOCs (which is how many low- and no-VOC paints end up with the chemicals in their ingredients)
- Auro Paints — somewhat expensive, but very high quality non-toxic paint
- Backdrop Paint — is low VOCs, odorless, and holds a Greenwise certification
- Magnolia Paint — Joanna Gaines’ paint line — low VOC and completely made of acrylic
- Valspar Paint — zero VOC, 100 percent acrylic, and Greenguard Gold certified for air quality
- Retique Chalk Paint — a traditional chalk-based paint — non-toxic
- Rust-Oleum Simply Home Interior Wall Paint — another chalk-based paint
- Bioshield Paint — offers clay and chalk paints
- Behr Premium Plus Paint — low emission paint, Greenguard Gold Certified for low chemical emissions.
All of the glue are non-toxic and low VOC — this means they don’t release volatile organic compounds throughout their life. They are also free of xylene, toulene, light aliphatic naphtha and N-hexane.
Non-Toxic All-Purpose Adhesives
- Weldbond Multi-Purpose Glue — non-toxic, low VOC household glue — use on wood ceramics, stone, tiles, glass and foam
- Elmer’s Multi-Surface Bond Weatherproof Glue — another household multipurpose adhesive — claims to be weatherproof — can be used on metal, stone, wood, ceramic and plastic
- Better Ultimate Adhesive — less toxic “super glue” type adhesive
- Rescue Bond Sealant & Adhesive —interior and exterior sealant and adhesive
Non-Toxic Silicone Adhesives
- Dap All-Purpose Adhesive Sealant — 100% silicone, waterproof and suitable for aquariums
- Aquascape Silicone Sealant Safe for Fish and Plants — another 100% silicone, waterproof and suitable for aquariums
Non-Toxic Construction Adhesives
- Titebond GREENchoice Advanced Polymer Panel Adhesive — a non-toxic glue for use on panels
- Titebond II Premium Wood Glue — a non-toxic adhesive that can be used on engineered floating wood flooring and outdoor furniture, wood and metal frame construction
- AFM Safecoat Almighty Adhesive is a solvent-free, environmentally safe construction adhesive
- Chemlink BuildSecure is a solvent-free, no odor, fast-setting polyether-based adhesive specially designed for bonding most construction materials — available on Amazon
- Forbo Flooring Adhesives — non-toxic flooring adhesives
- Silco Eco-Tite ET 5500 — an adhesive that works on multiple surfaces — PVC, concrete, glass, aluminum, painted surfaces, wood plywood, marble and metal.
Non-Toxic Wood Finishes
Non-Toxic Furniture Finishes
- Vermont Natural Coatings Poly Whey Furniture Finish — seals and protects — scratch & chemical resistant
- Osmo Wood Wax Finish — a clear, satin wood finish which combines the advantages of both natural oils and waxes
- AFM Safecoat Finish — a clear, hard and durable high gloss, water-based replacement for high solvent content lacquer — works for chemically sensitive people
- Tried and True Original Wood Finish — a non-toxic and zero-VOC Danish oil that creates a satin finish — can be used on cuttings boards and children’s furniture
- Howard Feed-N-Wax Restorative Wood Furniture Polish and Conditioner — protective beeswax
- Multipurpose Natural Wood Beeswax — protective beeswax
Non-Toxic Floor Finishes
- Vermont Natural Coatings PolyWhey Floor Finish — a clear finish that seals & protects against scratches –very low VOC
- 100% Pure Tung Oil Finish Wood Stain & Natural Sealer — brings out the natural beauty of any surface, adding a rich, darker finish without the use of solvents or varnishes.
Outdoor Wood Non-Toxic Wood Finishes
- Performance Coatings Penofin Verde Sustainable Wood Finish — a 100% sustainable, petroleum free oil finish with no heavy metal compounds, no odor, and no fumes
- Eco-Poly Polyurethane Sealer — a polyurethane sealer for wood, floor, and concrete surfaces — provides scratch, crack and moisture resistance
- Seal It Green Extreme Total Wood Sealer — a plant-based sealer suitable for all wood types
- Seal-Once Nano Penetrating Wood Sealer & Stain — a water-based sealer with “penetrating nanotechnology” — use on outdoor decks and other outdoor wood
Non-Toxic Paint Strippers
Most paint strippers contain methylene chloride and other toxic petroleum-based ingredients. These paint strippers are plant-based and non-toxic:
- Citistrip — a citrus gel formula that stays active for up to 24 hours allowing stripping of multiple layers in one step — can be used on wood, metal and masonry surfaces
- Dumond Chemicals Paint Remover — 100% biodegradable, water-based paint stripper that can remove multiple layers of architectural and industrial coating
- Blue Bear 605 Pro Coating Remover — a zero VOC stripper that removes multiple layers of paint, varnish, enamel and urethane
- Paint Stripper Super Remover — this stripper claims to be the strongest paint remover available without methylene chloride or other toxic chemicals
- Sunnyside 63432 Paint & Varnish Remover Gel — a sripping gel that removes multiple layers of paint or varnish in one application
Soy-Based Gel Paint Strippers
This bio-based solvent is much more sustainable and environmentally-friendly than petroleum-based products. It’s low in volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and it has a low flammability.
Soy-based solvents are safe to use on wood, concrete, and metal. These solvents work effectively but take slightly longer to lift the paint from a surface. You can apply soy solvents with a paintbrush and it can be left on the paint surface for several hours because it does not evaporate. The longer a soy-based stripper remains on the paint, the easier the final removal will be.
Citrus-Based Paint Strippers
Citrus-based paint strippers contain terpenes — organic compounds derived from plants (usually oranges).
Citrus-based removers have an orange or citrus-scent Like soy-based gels, they work more slowly in removing paint than toxic products. They are safe to use on any painted or varnished surface. While these strippers are biodegradable, they do still contain some harmful chemicals and should be disposed of properly.